Custom Search

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Thanks for Listening, Bud

Bud Chiles is out of the race for governor, according to numerous media sources. I think it is pretty clear he heard the very reasoned calls of Rantings From Florida to drop out if he is too afraid to run as a Democrat.

More seriously, though, this is the first time I have felt good about Rick Scott winning the Republican nomination. Whether Chiles was frightened by the blackness pouring from Scott's soul or simply intimidated by his millions, I believe fear of a Scott victory shook some sense into the pragmatic activist. If he was scared of Sink's personal fortune, he had to realize Scott buys millionaires of Sink's caliber to feed to the pit of souls he got in the HCA settlement. This was never a race that Chiles could win, but until today, it seemed likely Scott could, if only by buying the mansion outright when the market is low.

Earlier this week, I responded to a conservative reader's question on whether Alex Sink would move to the left or the right as the general election drew closer. I predicted then that if Chiles stayed in the race, she may have to move to the left, but that I thought her more suitable as a centrist candidate. I know that is a dirty word in the blogosphere, but the most important thing for any candidate to be is authentic, and with a pro-business ex-banker running on her record as the state's Chief Financial Officer, we need to accept that Alex Sink is an authentic moderate Democrat.

Just as important, we should understand that a chief executive in Florida will have to placate an electorate not known for extreme liberalism. We have a great opportunity to elect a true liberal to the Senate, where ideology matters far more. But Alex Sink, a loyal Democrat whose roots are in corporate management, is a good choice for the Governor's mansion, and likely the best we can get right now.

Somehow, Sink has become a favorite to win an election in which every poll showed her losing a few months ago. Despite a natural environment and a conventional wisdom that this is a Republican year, the Democratic Party in Florida is poised for its most successful cycle in recent memory. Every Cabinet post has potential to swing our way. And in Congress, I still see the potential for us to pick up a seat and defend all challenged incumbents.

I have given Bud Chiles a hard time for nearly foiling his father's legacy, but today, I applaud him, and thank him for doing the right thing. His support, which has floated anywhere from 9 points to 19 points depending on the pollster, will most likely swing to Sink. Honestly, much of it would anyway as horrified Chiles supporters were faced not merely with the prospect of conservative but respectable Bill McCollum but of the sinister criminal mastermind Rick Scott. This was the best thing for Democrats and the best thing for Florida.

Thanks for listening, Bud.

1 comment:

  1. I usually vote Republican in Presidential and Gubernatorial races because of the terrible judges that Democrats appoint - usually ambulance chasers. I may make an exception for Sink although I will be holding my nose when I vote for her, if I do vote for her (I'm inclined to consider leaving it blank or voting for a minor candidate)

    ReplyDelete