Custom Search

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why West Should Be Welcome

Readers of this blog know I see little value in Allen West beyond pure entertainment, but I am pleased he was sworn in today as a member of the Congressional Black Caucus. I think it was both classy of the traditionally-liberal group to welcome him in, and wise of him to accept the invitation.

I realize some respectable liberals have a major problem with his inclusion, especially when white liberals with black constituencies like Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tennessee, have not been allowed within the group. I also get why Cohen and others would like in the group, and for that matter, why other black conservatives like Tim Scott and J.C. Watts have declined membership.

But ethnic caucuses exist for more reason than simply promoting an agenda favorable to a minority groups. The Congressional Black Caucus stands as a symbol that blacks have a voice in the halls of Congress that is very real. No longer must blacks rely on the Northeastern liberals to fight for their cause. The days when the strongest voice for minorities in Congress had a last name like Kennedy is long-gone. And the blacks holding office today were elected, usually in majority black districts but sometimes - as with West - by white voters. They were not appointed, as the black Congressmen during Reconstruction had been.

If I may, let me quote Allen West from a statement he made to the Daily Caller, back when the suspicious tea bagger never imagines he would get an invite to caucus with the CBC:

"I would be in Congress, and I would be black and so I should be able to sit with them, and again, bring a different perspective."

Now, I think Allen West brings a perspective so different from logical common sense I remain confused how the voters of Southwest Florida could elect him, but they did. And he was rightfully sworn into Congress today. There is not only good reason why he should be allowed in the CBC, but importance to his acceptance in the group.

2 comments:

  1. What you should be writing about is why do we have a Congressional Black Caucus anyway? I thought the Obama Presidency would put an end to racism and we are now "Post Racial" Well I guess we are, as long as "we" are the minority race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any idea how many caucuses exist in Congress? If you believe that there is a problem with blacks congregating together in the Capitol, it shows how far we are from being post-racial.

    ReplyDelete