Custom Search

Thursday, April 29, 2010

And now it starts...

Floridians just watched history as Gov. Charlie Crist became the first marquis candidate to run for Senate without party affiliation. We all expected it. This blog predicted it weeks ago. But what I found especially interesting in Crist's announcement today was the positions he decided to trumpet.

Stop Oil Drilling. Protect Teachers. Give Everyone the Right to Vote.

That was it. All of those positions are ones held in higher esteem on the left than the right. To me, that signals that Crist, starting today, will rally as many left-leaning independents into his fold as possible. In his speech, he did not say, as I expected, that he would go caucus with the Republicans. Instead, he focused on the ability to support ideas more popular with Democrats.

I am, frankly, stunned. I expected a smattering of 'I cut property taxes' and 'I'm still Chaingang Charlie' to get tossed in there. What does this mean? I'd say Kendrick Meek has a very short time frame to establish these issues as his issues before Charlie makes them part of his independent, free-thinking platform and leaves Kendrick looking like a man with no plan of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment