Custom Search

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Screwed Up

That's one shocker of a verdict. One really has to wonder how the presence of human remains in the trunk of a car for somebody who went partying for a few days while cops searched for her missing child.

I cannot help but think there remains a miserable public life lying ahead for Casey Anthony, but for right now, I join a chorus of people upset justice has not been well-served. Much of that will likely weigh on the shoulders of prosecutors and investigators who pegged so much hope of technology and so much less than expected on traditional evidence-gathering.

I am kind of shocked that a Florida verdict (we've never been known here for taking a soft view on crime) would return a not guilty verdict here. But I think it says some things about our values, and if I may go off on a haphazard commentary on this, it shows how the "traditional family values" which so often are suggested bedrock for society do not always offer as much strength as one might expect.

I think the holding up of maternal figures as sacrosanct has served us poorly, and if people could wrap their heads around true gender equality, it would mean something in cases like this.

I believe a focus on punishment within our justice system too often shades the thoughts of those who must decide who deserves the punishment.

But I am sure many on the other side of issues today will feel in their gut that liberal outlooks on the world had a detrimental effect as well.

Who knows? But a lot of people are angry right now, and I think they have good reason to be. The question looking forward though should be on how to make the justice system more fair and equitable, not more hostile and vicious.

2 comments:

  1. This really isn't a "left/right" argument and verdict here. I have heard from many people on both sides of the aisle saying this to be an unjust verdict.
    The ONLY comment that Ive seen to *slightly* justify the verdict is the fact that the prosecution asked for too much... if they had gone for manslaughter or murder2 maybe the burden of evidence would have been easier to prove (though I'm not sure how...) and the jury wouldn't have feared having someone's blood on their hands (although I do think its there now...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that it took the prosecution three years to get this case to trial tells you what a weak case the prosecution had.

    That a jury with seven women on it managed to acquit furthers the impression.

    Do I think she did it ? Yeah, probably.

    Do I know this "beyond a reasonable doubt" ? NO I don't, and that is the standard to which the jury was held

    ReplyDelete