Custom Search

Friday, October 29, 2010

I'd Sure Like to Know What's Going On

Varied reports out there are saying different things on Kendrick Meek. All seem to agree Bill Clinton asked him to drop out.

13 News says Meek is still in it. Politico seems to think things are more on the verge than that.

But without Meek on the ballot, I will leave this race blank. Update: Rereading this, I want to make something clear. Meek cannot actually be removed from the ballot. Should he formally drop out, votes for him would simply be cast aside, and I think it is actually too late for him to formally drop out. I will fill in the bubble for Meek no matter what happens at this point.

I don't respect Crist enough to cast my vote for him, and I disagree with Marco Rubio on virtually everything.

My greatest concern if Meek was to drop out would be the effect on other races. I would expect someone with Clinton's savvy to consider that. Will this damage Alex Sink's chances? How about Gelber or Maddox or Ausley? I don't expect everyone to win, but all of these races are competitive. And that's saying nothing about what effect this could have on critical races like the Grayson, Kosmas or Boyd contests.

I am fed up right now with national Democrats screwing around with this race. Charlie Crist cannot win this race. Perhaps there was a way once, but he gave up on that the minute he decided to run as a liberal but forsake jumping into the Democratic primary.

I'm not kidding myself right now. I am not holding my breath waiting for this race to turn so overwhelmingly in Meek's direction to believe he can win. But Crist is not the alternative here. Not for me. Not for the Democratic Party as a whole. And if we lose the entire slate of major races this year at a time when the Republican party is in total disarray, that will just be a crime on the part of national Dems from Bill Clinton to Markos Moulitsas.

3 comments:

  1. Meek should stay in the race - dropping out won't give Crist the win as some of Crist's current support would shift to Rubio, and it would be a betrayal of the people who have worked so hard to make Meek a viable candidate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. At this stage in the race it would be political suicide, and to no good end. Meek won a primary. Quitting now would be a betrayal of all of those who supported him in that race. Indeed, since early voting started two weeks ago, I can't imagine this being viewed positively at all.

    I am starting to wonder if this is all coming out of the Crist camp. I just can't imagine a figure like Clinton lacking the savvy to understand this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For anyone coming back to this post a second time, I just updated it to make clear I will vote for Meek regardless what happens, and that his name will be on the ballot no matter what.

    ReplyDelete